Monday, December 8, 2008

Portfolio Reflective Letter

My Portfolio has been put together in a way that will demonstrate how I've progressed through Writing 101 on my essay writing.It consists of my first and last essay papers, each with their Rough drafts so my progress can easily be seen.My first essay is about Bacon's rebellion and includes the facts, causes, and events that led to it. My last essay is an outline of my class debate between the federalists and anti-federalists in America, and I take the anti-federalist side. My weaknesses in my essays were not putting enough of my opinions in and that my essay length was too short. My strengths were staying on topic throughout the essays and providing evidence to back up my details.

In my first essay I stayed on topic and my thesis was very well supported. But during my evaluation my instructor came to the conclusion that the five paragraphs my essay consisted of were not enough and the entire essay was too factual.My last essay experience was a lot better than my first essay experience. I felt a whole lot more comfortable during the last essay than the first. I had much to contribute during the debate and all my points were well supported with facts and opinions.After completing those essays I realized that my writing style changed and that I still had much more in me.

What I had hoped to accomplish from Writing 101 was to improve my writing in general, and now that this class is coming to a close I can say that I improved dramatically. I still have the same weaknesses but I intend to better myself so my weaknesses can soon become my strengths. I have much to work on but I know that if I put my mind to it I could actually become a good writer.

3 comments:

Da-koul-is said...

You should add your "Writing philosophy", "essay 1 reflection", and "essay 2 reflection". Make sure to have quotes from your actually essays to help support your statements. Transition between paragraphs. Try to give a little more detail about your actual writing process, the steps you took, what worked, and what didn't work. "After completing those essays I realized that my writing style changed and that I still had much more in me." -- What did you mean by this, its not that its not good just elaborate.

Miguel Orallo said...

Hey Tre' i think your reflective letter is a good "Start" but i think you should instead of writing mainly on your essay for an example but develope off of it, like what you did good, what you did bad, what you need to improve, and what ben and craig said about it. thats what i think you could do to improve on it.

megannn said...

You have a good start but there is always room for improvement :)

-be sure to add some actual quotes from the essays you are talking about.
-the first paragraph just seems like a bunch of sentences thrown together, so maybe try to make them flow together more.
-at the end of the first paragraph you go right into your weaknesses and your strengths... maybe introduce the idea of weaknesses and strengths but not actually talk about specifics until the second paragraph.

you're doing well tre, it's just a little sloppy and jumbled up. :)