Thursday, December 11, 2008

Potfolio: Final Exam Frame #2

Portfolio: Final Exam #2
Tre’ Kelly
12/11/08

The writer’s view on the writing process is that it is easier to write if you have others to go to for feedback and/or ideas. If you’re writing on your own it is possible to be misled or stumped in certain situations. If you have someone to go to for help you’ll have a broader amount of views and opinions on whatever you’re writing. I agree with this writer completely because my writing philosophy supports the writer’s opinion about the writing process. When I’m writing I want as many views as possible because I’ll have more points to support what I’m writing. The writer says that “Group work not only privileges student-centered, democratic practices, but it highlights the interactive nature of creativity.” The point the writer is making is that when you have other ideas along with your own you’ll have more to play with in a sense. More ideas equal more possibilities which is being creative.

This view of the writing process supports my writing process in the following ways: the writer and I both believe that group help improves the writing process, and that group help heightens creativity. In writing 101 our class was assigned a group essay. In this essay we were supposed to take a side on whether the constitution should have been ratified or not. Without the help of my group I wouldn’t have had as many main points as I did. Things in life are easier to accomplish if you’re not on your own. I know for a fact that if I didn’t get the help that I got from my group members during that essay I wouldn’t have had as much to contribute toward the assignment as I did. The writer’s view of group help supports exactly what I believe, but it lacks one thing.

What the writer doesn’t elaborate on are the disadvantages of getting help from others on the helper’s side. When you get help others you still need to have your own points and ideas. The writer says that “the writing process can be greatly improved if students have a group of peers with whom they can share their writing.” I still support the writer but I realize that some people use this as a chance to take advantage of others. I did notice this during the group essay for other groups. Students did ask for help but the feedback and ideas they received were used as their own to sound like they knew what they were talking about. This brings me to the fact that although group help privileges the student, in some cases not receiving help can also be effective. I also include this in my writing process and writing philosophy. My original writing philosophy is to follow what I believe the teacher wants out of my work and to do my best. With group help I’d get the chance to hear others views on what the teacher is asking for but I also need to have an opinion of my own so I’m not following the instruction of someone else’s work. Help is good but some things you need to figure out yourself, which proves to be the difference between my view and the writers view on the writing process.

What the writer shows me from this frame is what makes group help effective, but the writer overlooks what makes help from others ineffective. I consider this to be very important because if you present your views on the advantages of something but leave out the disadvantages then you’re not getting the full take on the situation. But don’t get me wrong, I still believe that the writer’s view on the writing process can definitely help somebody. One final point I’d like to make about the similarities between my view on the writing process and the writer’s view is that creativity does build when you have more ideas to work with. If you’re using this as an effective way to improve your writing process then their really isn’t a disadvantage. What you writing should come from your own view but if someone else gives you an idea then you can use that to support your original view.

No comments: